Sometimes it’s difficult to make decisions “in the moment.” You may benefit from stepping back and looking at the bigger picture in order to make a sound decision that fits with your priorities. I’ll provide some questions to help…
When making a decision about what to say YES or NO to:
- Will saying YES to this allow me to spend quality time with my family/friends and allow me the flexibility to meet their needs?
- Will taking this on allow me to take care of myself physically and nurture myself emotionally and spiritually?
- Do I feel financially & emotionally secure about this choice?
- Will this enable me to help others (patients or colleagues) to reach their goals?
- Will I have control over how I spend my time & how I honor my values?
- What will motivate me to do this?
- What would hold me back from doing this?
- If I say YES to this, what will I be saying NO to?
- If my best friend (who’s a clone of me) were in this situation, what would I advise him/her to do?
- Who or what will support me in making this decision (talking with _____, journaling, etc.)?
Questions to ask yourself once you’ve committed to something and are struggling to juggle everything:
- Do I feel at choice about this?
- What’s the worst thing that could happen if I don’t do it?
- Do I choose to renegotiate this?
- Can I delegate this to someone else?
- Is there a way to simplify this task and still keep my commitment?
My free Managing Priorities webinar will teach you a weekly process that will help you keep first things first in your life.